Friday, January 2, 2009

We should heat clothes, not homes and apartments.

My apartment is slightly cooler in the winter that I would make it if I had adjustable heat. I keep a space heater in my bedroom to keep that temperature perfect for me and in the other rooms I don't mind--- I just wear slightly warmer clothes.

I just pulled a long undershirt out of my freshly done laundry and put it on. It was warm and felt wonderful. I thought, "It would be great if it just stayed like this." Then I started thinking, they do make battery-heated clothing of various types such as socks for outdoor use in the winter for people like hunters. But really, if we are serious about energy conservation, we should all be wearing heated clothing at all times indoors in the winter time. It would be much more energy efficient to keep our clothes warm than to keep our rooms warm.

We would probably need to have some kind of harnesses with the heating elements--- one for shirts and one for pants for each person. Items of clothing would be swapped in and out of the harnesses. The harnesses would be on top of the clothing so as not to contact the person's body and pick up sweat smells. The harnesses would be powered by swappable rechargeable batteries.

No comments: