Monday, July 23, 2007

Why Can't a Microsoft PC Connect Directly to an Online Diagnostic Program?

I did something I don't usually do yesterday: tried to clean out my PC following some instructions I've been given by Microsoft technician when he had earlier solved some problem or other over the telephone. I suppose I made a mistake because I got some dire warnings to the effect that some important file was missing that was crucial for the computer's operation.

I was instructed to insert the XP operating system disc to replace this critical file. Upon doing so, the program told me it was reluctant to download from this desk because I now had a newer version of the operating system that I would lose if I downloaded from the disc.

This scenario makes it seem as if Laurel and Hardy are in charge of Microsoft diagnostics, but that might not be fair. The Microsoft operating system is very complex, it does change pretty quickly, and it is hard to keep track of what is going on, let alone anticipate future changes when the initial diagnostic system is developed.

What I can't understand though, is why I cannot go on to a Microsoft web site that would connect up to built-in "hooks" in the operating system, take a look at what is going on, and recommend a course of action that I could take or not take as I chose. This would, it seems, be much more effective than the built-in diagnostic functions of the operating system, which seem to become obsolete when the first software update occurs.

Of course, such a web site would cost money to operate and maintain but it seems like it would be much less expensive than maintaining the current size of the telephone technician force that is needed. In addition, the online solution would be more effective. Since each specific variation of a problem would only need to be solved once, Microsoft could restrict the personnel working on the diagnostic web site to the very highest quality people. This would eliminate the frequent mistakes that occur with the current current telephone-based diagnostic system. In addition, diagnosis would be much faster.

In terms of my current problem by the way, I remembered how I had solved similar problems in the past. This was done by simply rebooting the computer, apparently eliminating all awareness in the operating system of this "vital" missing file.

No comments: